Poetry Matters Project Ltd.
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
NOTE: This year we have two call for entries
1. Women's History Month
2. Poetry Month Lit Prize
Please scroll to the end of the page to find your category. Good Luck!
We are pleased to announce the 2018 call for entries for the Poetry Matters Literary Prize.
Entries will be accepted until February 28, 2018
Young Poets: 2 Categories
Middle School Students: now know as Dave Drake Literary Prize
Middle schoolers must provide contact email of parent or guardian
High School Students: Students of high school age.
Adult Poets: now known as Spring Robinson/Mahogany Red Lit Prize
Poets between the age of 20 and 60 years old: this category includes college aged students
Senior Poets: Poets 61years and older
1st prize- $75
2nd prize- $50
Honorable Mention- $25
All prize winning poems will be published in Poetry Diversified 2017 Anthology and on Poetry Matters website. Video of winner reading will post on Poetry Matters website via Youtube. Audio via Sound Cloud.
Entries will each be assessed by three judges, to whom the poets will not be identified (blind judging)
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRIES
Anyone, anywhere may submit.
Please provide age, date of birth is not required, so that we can determine correct category of your submission (see categories above)
If entry is not in English, english translation must be included
Entry Fees: Contest is free to enter
1. All work must be original and previously unpublished. We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
2. Submit up to three poems, 30 lines maximum each, single-spaced, 12-point type. No identifying information should be on the poem Please submit entry as a .pdf to preserve the placement of text on the page would be best. submission via .doc and .docx files are fine.
3. All participants agree to be subjects of press releases and media stories about their work and the foundation.
4. Your submission is an agreement that should your entry win; you will provide either a visual, audio or live reading of your winning entry as soon as notification of your placement as a winner of the contest has posted.
5. All submissions should include a cover letter with:
• your name
• postal address •
• phone number
• email address
• school name and address with school principal listed
• your submission title(s), • and a short, publishable bio of approximately 50 words.
Submissions not following these criteria will be disqualified. If you do not hear from us by April 3, 2018, please feel free to contact us about the status of your submission.
Questions: Email all questions regarding your entry to
Follow us on
DEADLINE: Your poem must be submitted through submittable by February 28, 2018
We subscribe to the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses Contest Code of Ethics. CLMP's community of independent publishers believe that ethical contest serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing.
We believe the intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end we agree to:
Conduct our contest as ethically as possible. Provide clear and specific contest guidelines/defining conflict of interest for all parties involved. Make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public.